Sunday, April 09, 2006

Songbird

A close friend in England introduced me to the music of a young American vocalist, Eva Cassidy. I listened to her renditions of “Somewhere Over The Rainbow” and “Songbird” and then did some research on this amazing singer. Why did I never hear of her?

The sad truth is that she died of cancer ten years ago and much of her music has been published posthumously as a labor of love by family and friends. She never made it big in the eyes of the world; her talent, however, was enormous. She was so gifted and she continues to touch people even now.

Her ability to sing in so many voices - gospel, rock, blues, pop - confounded the talent agents and producers. Many wanted to pigeonhole her into just one niche. She wasn’t marketable. How laughable considering the mediocrity that is passed off as “talent”.

I think Eva had to fly free and do what she was born to do, sing. She sang what she loved, what touched her, and you can’t help but feel that when you hear her. I haven’t been so moved in a long time. So I invite you to spend some time getting to know her and hearing her unique repertoire.

Treat yourself and tune in and listen for awhile. Stay in the moment with Eva, forget your cares and let her take you away with her to that other side of the rainbow. It’s the stuff that dreams are made of and such a welcomed respite from the daily grind.

Peace.

7 comments:

Vikki said...

I was introduced to Eva's music by a friend. It's beautiful...

Anonymous said...

Hummm...someone I know just mentioned her to me the other day...who could it be... ;-)

For the record, she does a version of Sting's "Fields of Gold" that is absolutly beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Makin me cry, thanks.

I'm going to go check her out, I've never heard of her.

Anonymous said...

And I thought I was the only one! I discovered her about five years ago. I have to say her version of Danny Boy brings me to tears every time I hear it.

Thanks for pointing her out to people. She was completely amazing.

Anonymous said...

WHAT!?! She sings Danny Boy?

I'm tearing up already and I haven't even heard it.

I definately have to check that out.

Anonymous said...

Look, Mater! I figured out how to post a comment! I did some research on Eva after reading this post. I always feel belatedly bereft when I discover some wonderful new music and then find out that the artist has died. It was rather a blow to find that Tony Cuffe of Ossian had died. It's funny, though, being a musician, those stories by friends remembering her playing to mostly empty tables, and now her music is heard widely, really resonate. Oh, dear, I'm starting to ramble. Anyway, thanks for a great post, and thanks for starting a blog. I've truly enjoyed your writing.

Anonymous said...

My roommate, Raelun, introduced me to the amazingness that is Eva Cassidy, and I fell in love at first listen. I think my facorite, seconding Geogirl, is her cover of "Fields of Gold." There's just something about the way she sings "I never made promises lightly..." that breaks your heart.